Saturday, July 15, 2006

Knitting Nirvana


From lj: Mar. 10th, 2006 10:59 pm

I have about 5 projects on the needles. I say this with no shame at all. Actually I am proud of the fact it's only 5 but as I am not thinking to hard about what projects are "permenently" in progress, I'm not TOO proud. I am searching I think for an illusive project that will hold my attention but not be so difficult as to make knitting it the focus of my being.

I have reached my own personal knitting nirvana only once. In the infamous Yorrik. I shlepped that pattern everywhere. It was a pattern with 34 row repeat. And as an added thrill an error that I never got around to correcting on my copy. It was in that nice gooshy center between garter-stitch coma and ripping out fistfuls of hair while screaming at the top of my lungs. Now while I am aware there is ample distance between these two points what I am talking about is the exact center, perfect bliss. While I have not reached this dizzying height since I caught a glimpse of it while turning my first heel. I continue to knit and search. Sweaters call out to be made. I churn out purses on my needles (and on my sewing machine), mittens were made, the hat sits abandoned as the freaking needles are too long for the circular needle wire, and so I continue to cast on project after project looking for something just challenging enough.

BTW the Yorrik scarf is available at www.knitty.com my version was a repetition of the scull motif.

No comments: