Monday, May 21, 2007

My First Blog Contest

My first blog contest. I am sitting here working on my "Dream Big" file, there is a lot of projects in there. I did a huge bunch of yarn ordering this past week and I bought enough cream bulky yarn for a sweater coat. The problem is I don't know which to knit. So I'm going to have a little contest. It'll run until next week and all you have to do is vote which one I should cast on. I'ed also appreciate if you gave a reason as to why you think I should make one over the other but it isn't necessary. I have a lot of hush hush secret pals out there and they can leave comments annonymously and the prize in question can get sent out after the big reveal. Iwon't announce what the prize is yet because not everyone who reads this is a knitter, most I think are, not to mention when someone who owns her own store reads your blog you need to be inventive with prizes ;> I think I'll give 2 away depending on how many entries-one drawn randomly and 1 based on how thoughtful the answer was (even if it's not endorsing the one that makes the final cut).


Here it is the Battle of the Titans




Starsky


Josephine
Current pros and cons
I love the banana leaf panels on Starsky they are the sexy but the cables on Josephine stand out more, and this may come as a shock, I like to stand out in a crowd. Both I'ed have to put in buttonholes but Josephine isn't as open in front, a plus as I always wear tank tops but it's fairly bulky looking. I am not into math so altering either pattern is, while not out of the question, probably going to limit the odds of this project ever getting completed. (I'm being honest here-I am pretty sketchy on knitting math). I like both of these for different reasons but I'll let you pick which one I do. (Well I'll post this at work so my non blogging co-workers get to vote too-if they have to look at it in the backroom for 3 months they should get a say-tho they won't be in the contest.)
Hopefully this idea doesn't fall flat.
Both patterns are available to paruse at knitty.com

16 comments:

Yarn Boy said...

They are both close enought in looks that I cannot choose one over the other. Thus I am flippng a coin.

...It landed on its edge...

Screw it do the first one, I like the look of the belt.

Michelle said...

I vote for the second one...can't pass up a good cable. what yarn are you planning on using..that might make a difference too.

mjm knitting said...

At first, going from the photos you showed, I preferred Josephine, but then when I looked at the patterns on Knitty which had additional photos I preferred Starsky. Great I like em both-now what to do? Actually look at the jackets instead of the compositions of the pictures!

So my final decision is Starsky. Why? I like how it's more fitted in the bottom as opposed to Josephine. I know you've done cables before so the pattern with Starsky would be a NEW challenge. Starsky seems the more multi functional piece. It could be dressed up for a night on the town, or casually worn as you head out the door to get groceries.

KaKi said...

I like Josephine. I think the back is GORGEOUS!!! I am also interested in what yarn you are going to use. Good luck!!!

mjm knitting said...

you have been tagged-check out my blog

Tanya said...

Starsky for sure! It is my favorite of these two without question. The belt is very hip and I like the cables, they are more interesting. Also, I don't care much for the collar of Josephine.

Happy knitting (and I was tagged too, doh)

Secret Pal Blcklace66 said...

I like Josephine, it's different and unique. The pattern stands out as opposed to the soft nature of the other one. Since you said you like to stand out there you go. The size would compliment a tank top very well in my opinion.

Lyndsey-Jane said...

As much I love the cables on Josephine, I'm really not sure on the collar, plus I prefer the fitting of Starsky. My vote = Starsky!

Spinny Bunt said...

Starsky! The other one looks very bulky and has a wee bit of "granny" to it.

Cindiluhu said...

I vote for josephine as well. I like that it is longer and I like the cables layouts better.

Knittin' Kninja said...

I'm voting for Starsky. I think it looks more up-to-date and fitted. I do think Josephine's cables are pretty, but it just seems too bulky to me. Starsky's pattern is absolutely beautiful and looks much less afghan-y.

Anne said...

I have to agree with your take on the bulk in the Josephine - the first thing I was thinking as I looked at them before reading your thoughts is that I didn't like that the top of it almost looks hooded - I don't think that is the best look given the cabling and other styling on the sweater, personally. Both of them are really gorgeous - the cabling because of how it stands out and the leaf pattern is just.. pretty - but I think the Starsky would be more wearable and enjoyable!

artinreality said...

Wow, it's hard. They are both beautiful, but I think I prefer Starsky. It looks a little less bulky, and more smooth/fitted looking. If you're anything like me, you might prefer the sleeker look, so that it doesn't like as if you all of a sudden gained 10 pounds... But then again, the Josephine looks like it has a little more fabric, draping around the belly and the bottom a little, good for exactly when you (i.e. I !!) have indeed gained those few extra pounds...

Oh, it's hard, but I think the ultimate choice would have to be between comfort (Josephine) or sexiness (Starsky.) At the moment I'm feeling particularily happy with my husband, so I guess I would go for the Starky. (Even if I personally recently went completely off my try-and-eat-less-chocolate and ate about a pound during the last week...) It's all about how you carry yourself, anyway, right? The bottom line is they both look gorgeous, and I would choose the Starsky. Starsky just seems to be more universal, and you could dress it up with a nice shirt and skirt, or down with jeans and a t-shirt (and that would both be super funky!), whereas Josephine seems to be one of those super comfy hang around the house with your significant other and friends and kids...(Sorry about the long, long rant here...)

Nicole said...

I'm voting for Starsky, because I like its collar better than Josephine's and because it looks less bulky. I don't particularly like the belt, though.

Both patterns are really pretty.

Anonymous said...

emm.. cognitively style )

Anonymous said...

в конце концов: восхитительно. а82ч