Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Not to be all Bash-y but I have Some Complaints about Canada Post

I think for the most part Canada Post does a really good job. They have a lot of packages and letters mailed everyday. The mind wobbles. But in light of my last serious "issue" with them I've discovered that really postal systems are the same all over the world. I have come across a rather glaring omittion in thier service. They don't inform us if they "dispose" of our packages. Case in point, my monkey sock package I sent to Singapore. I included some really swank organic tea. It came in a tin tube. Canada Post in it's infinite wisdom x-rayed my package and decided it was a pipebomb. Yes boys and girls, a freaking pipebomb. So you know what they did? The detonated it. Blew it up and poured fire retardant stuff all over it. We will not discuss the decission making process of "I think it's an expolosive lets's blow it up before it...explodes.." I'ed like you all just to sit back and think of the poor little socks that went poof. The first pair of socks where I really "got" the kitchner stitch. Sigh.

Ultimately I can see (if I freaking squint real hard) thier point. It was pipe looking and had string and stuff inside. I could have been a bomb ... if you squint real hard and don't use any of the fancy equiptment you have been charging taxpayers for since 9/11. My real problem with the whole thing was I didn't know what had happened until I got a wtf? message from the swap matron/mom/leader/insert title of choice. Canada Post gives tracking on all packages for free (yeay) and I knew I was in trouble when the operator went to get a supervisor (it ranks right up there with upholstry and dentist) and she very apologetically told me my package was all poof. Now my point, and for once I have one, is that my freaking return address was on the package. If you deside to explode something shouldn't there be some kind of Hallmark card automatically shipped out??!?!? A form letter?!?! Something??!?! Tell you what Posties I'll write it out for you all you have to do is cut and paste ok?

"We're very sorry to inform you that as we aren't British we can't recognize tea when we see it. Seeing a tin of tea made us think there was a small bomb in the package, suspecting that you maybe shipping expolsives to another country we did nothing to contact you nor, [apparently] turn your name over to the police. Confering amongst ourselves we got a hold of some C4 and made it to a really big bomb then blew it up, it was a really cool expolsion our team was making bomb explosion noises all day. As a bonus to you we think some of the handmade socks you sent to Singapore got there express instead of regular post like you paid for, you cheapskate."

There. Do I have to do everything around here?

5 comments:

LadyLungDoc said...

Oy - I picked up some swank tea and a tin for a swap but decided to keep it for myself - good thing, it seems!

Valerie said...

Holy Cow.. While I am totally in shock over your whole situation.. your commentary at the bottom made me nearly fall out of the chair!! I can't believe they didn't contact you!

Anna said...

That's crazy.
When I saw the title of this blog entry, I thought you were going to complain about your mailman again. But I guess that's small potatoes compared to this..... Good thing you weren't shipping Lapsang Souchong - they may have really suspected you of something bad then......

mjm knitting said...

i hope you insured the parcel so you can recoup some money from the bloody idiots who work at canada post.

Knitting Mama said...

That is absolutely ABSURD that they thought your tea was a bomb! I can't believe it!!

I think they should have let you know - that was rude that they didn't. Did you have insurance to track it? Is that how you were able to find out they "blew it up"??